The Selfish Gene
That's the title of the book that I'm reading now. Written by Richard Dawkins, a renowned Oxford professor, it explains some of the intricacies of genetics in the natural world.
It's such fascinating stuff.
I'm obviously not a scientific type, but for some reason I've always been drawn to Darwinist theories. Maybe because it explains the existence of life, from a scientific point of view. Even though the language is purposely devoid of technical jargon, I'm still struggling with it. I could read entire pages and only end up with just gists of what it's trying to say - but it's enough.
It'd be quite futile for me to try to explain, but what it's basically trying to say is that genes are the main reason for the existence of life. All forms of life - from bacteria to animals and to human beings - are 'vehicles' upon which genes, or DNA, rely upon to survive.
Right now I'm wondering why the earliest lifeforms would try so hard to survive in the first place. Maybe I'd have to reread some of the earlier chapters to find out.
Sigh.
On a more personal note, I'm saddened by some things.
But I can't just stay here and mope.
Life goes on.
It's such fascinating stuff.
I'm obviously not a scientific type, but for some reason I've always been drawn to Darwinist theories. Maybe because it explains the existence of life, from a scientific point of view. Even though the language is purposely devoid of technical jargon, I'm still struggling with it. I could read entire pages and only end up with just gists of what it's trying to say - but it's enough.
It'd be quite futile for me to try to explain, but what it's basically trying to say is that genes are the main reason for the existence of life. All forms of life - from bacteria to animals and to human beings - are 'vehicles' upon which genes, or DNA, rely upon to survive.
Right now I'm wondering why the earliest lifeforms would try so hard to survive in the first place. Maybe I'd have to reread some of the earlier chapters to find out.
Sigh.
On a more personal note, I'm saddened by some things.
But I can't just stay here and mope.
Life goes on.