<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/8980944255902395412?origin\x3dhttps://br3ndan.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Fantasies

Pardon the cheesy title.

Had just finished watching Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Elegy over the weekend, both romance dramas starring Penelope Cruz.

I liked both movies, but enjoyed the first more. The cinematography of Vicky Cristina Barcelona is simply gorgeous and dripping with color; it is the cliche of the spontaneous romance with a dashing stranger in a foreign land treated with great sensitivity and open-mindedness.

Come to think of it, both movies are transgressive - but I shall not elaborate.

The second thing I realized is that I have not watched any movies starring Penelope Cruz prior to now - how could I not have? - she's quite a force to behold. She's confident enough to appear in both movies with no make up when the scenes called for it - looking like how real women look - and it gave serious gravitas to her characters.

I suspect that Elegy is the sort of film that slowly up crawls up on you, because of the sort of observations that it conveys. Life and love is so much about chance and timing.

Anyway, after all these shows I'm even more tempted by all things bohemian. Unfortunately what is depicted in Barcelona is so unlikely (to be a painter, yet live in a nice house and drive a sports car - right), that I have pretty much conceded it to the realm of fantasy.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end